Monday, January 27, 2014

Art and Soul

Over the past month, I did something completely out of the ordinary and commissioned two pieces of art. I say "commissioned" because it sums up how I see myself - a 25-year-old version of the Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey.

Honestly, I'm lucky to know some really talented artists who were willing to work with me. My friend Emily is a graphic designer. This year she decided to design Christmas cards for a set fee, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Of course, I dragged my feet, so they became "Happy 2014" cards. Nonetheless, I LOVED them. All I did was send her the text and two photos and she came up with this nautical masterpiece. Have I mentioned I love nautical? I also love postcards! Hopefully this made some of my loved ones smile this January.



Then, through Emily, I discovered Libby. Libby "doodles" beautiful lyrics, quotes, sayings, inspirations, etc. and sells them on Etsy. For the longest time I have wanted the lyrics to my favorite song, Dream a Little Dream of Me, hanging in my house. Lightbulb. I wrote Libby and asked her about doing a custom piece with a verse from the song on it. Once again, I gave her very minimal parameters and she created exactly what I had in mind but couldn't describe. Also, she turned it around in one day. ONE day. I am so excited to put this up in my house. (Side note: Libby is also apparently an astronomical genius who teaches kids about outer space. Because why not be the best of both sides of the brain...)

The nautical flags on the B spell "MJC"...my initials!! Just another cool feature that I didn't even ask for.






No comments:

Post a Comment