Thursday, November 28, 2013

Full of Thanks

I just realized it's been two months since my last post. I guess when you write for a living, you don't tend to write when you get home, too. Do ENTs perform tonsillectomies when they leave work? Bad example..

But what better way to get back to it than to list what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving! Well, most of what I'm thankful for. I'll spare my three faithful readers the full list that includes glitter, comfortable sweats, excellent nail polish top coats, and dental floss. 

Thanksgiving is a little different this year. I had the big feast with some coworkers/friends last night and am spending today decorating for Christmas and doing laundry before leaving for Missouri with the football team tomorrow.  

This is how I used to do Thanksgiving: Big meal in the "Rock House" with my dad's side of the family before the annual Collier Cousin Pageant. It's a good thing that none of us went into show biz. And two days later, we would go to the biggest block party America has never seen: Christmas in Comfort. With funnel cakes and a nighttime parade and carols in the town square, it's just as awesome as it sounds. Here's a photo of me and my cousins Sophie and Jessica at Christmas in Comfort in 1994 or so. How California is Sophie in those white boots?!



Here's what I'm thankful for this year:

[My family] I have two parents who have stuck together through good and bad, richer or poorer, Texas and the ghetto of the Florida everglades. They love each other and still have enough love to spread to the rest of us. My dad can become anyone's best friend if you give him a few minutes in any public place. My mom loves dancing to 60s and 70s music and exercising (sometimes simultaneously) and is a better decorator than every magazine that ends in "Living".

I have a gorgeous older sister who designs beautiful, functional, energy-efficient spaces AND she knows all the words to several dozen children's books, voices and all. I'm pretty lucky to have a best friend who shares my genes and loves me for who I am.

I have a brother who pledged his service to our country at age 18, has been on two deployments, and is now a Captain who trains other Marine Corps officers. Even with all of this, he thinks he's just an ordinary guy and would be embarrassed to see that I'm bragging about him. Good thing the Marines aren't known for reading girly blogs. 

I have a brother-in-law who is by far the quietest member of our family, but accepts us just the same. He loves hunting and fishing and playing with my niece, and works harder than anyone I know. 

And last, but certainly not least, I have the cutest niece in the world. She's a few days shy of 18-months-old and nothing makes me happier than the fact that she knows my name and asks for me on a regular basis. She knows all of her animals and has a fabulous wardrobe.

[My Job] Sometimes I forget to remember how great my job is. Without making my coworkers vomit, I'd just like to say that I have a great boss and great coworkers who are also my friends. Sometimes they even adopt me for holidays. Tear tear, I love y'all. 

[My Friends] I'm so thankful for all of the friends I've been blessed with, and have recently discovered that the best friends are people you would have thought were mean in middle school. They're not afraid to tell you that yellow shirts make your skin look green, or that they're not coming to your movie night because they don't feel like putting on pants. So while they may be brutally honest, they are also your friend because they like you, not because you're a convenient doormat. 

[My Country] While we're eating turkey and dressing, complaining about having to wear pants with zippers, there are Americans on the other side of the world wearing flak jackets and eating food that is made to mysteriously not parish after a year in the desert. And they chose to do that.

Since by now y'all are just reading the bolded words, here's the rest of the list

My cozy house
Piranha Fitness
Christmastime
Netflix
Shoes
A warm bed
Dancing
Sunshine
Milk
Chapstick that moisturizes and adds color
90s hip hop
Musicals
Lululemon pants
Texas

If you're wondering how I left my Lord and Savior off of this list, you've read it all wrong. None of this life would exist without Him, and He taught me to be thankful. 

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment